Isaac Cavin was born in Ligonier, Pa. in 1807. He purchased 80 acres of ground along the Elkhart River for 75 silver dollars from the Teal family who owned 640 acres they had acquired from an Indian princess for $1.25 per acre. Later, the Teal family sold most of the land to Levi Perry. Perry Township was named after him.
Cavin plotted the town of Ligonier in 1835 and named it after his hometown of Ligonier, Pa. He divided the land in 110 lots. It was recorded in LaGrange County because Noble County had not yet been organized.
Cavin Street, named in honor of Isaac Cavin, was laid out on the old Indian trial and was the only road from Ft. Wayne to Michigan through this part of the country. It was known later as the “Huntington & White Pigeon Road.”
Isaac Cavin never lived in Ligonier, but he built a farm house about 2 miles north of Ligonier, where he raised his family. He and his wife Elizabeth had five children. Cavin’s son, John, lived in Ligonier at 504 S. Main Street. It was his son John who donated the beautiful Seth Thomas clock to the City of Ligonier in memory of his father. The clock is standing in triangle Park and has become Ligonier’s icon.
Isaac Cain is buried in the Salem Cemetery north of Ligonier on S.R. 5, just east of the church.