A river flows through tree covered hills. A peaceful and beautiful area inhabited by Miami and Pottawatomie Indians. Their homes were made from green tree branches that could be bent to form their homes. Wild strawberries grew abundantly along the river bed which gave this area the name of Strawberry Valley.
A man named Isaac Cavin from Pennsylvania made many trips to Indiana by horseback, by covered wagon, and by boating on the rivers looking for land to build a new city. It was here in this area with the river and the hills that he chose to layout his dream city. He paid 75 silver dollars for 80 acres of land in May 1835 and laid out 110 plots, naming the town Ligonier after his home town of Ligonier, Pa. This was done one year before Noble County was organized.
The town was laid out similar to Ligonier, Pa. with a town square and gazebo. Main Street was made extra wide to accommodate the retail area; however, as businesses began to think of building stores they realized that Cavin Street, which was one block east of Main Street was bustling with traffic. Cavin Street was then known as the Huntington-White Pigeon Road connecting Huntington, Ind., with White Pigeon, Mich.
Consequently, the business and retails stores built on Cavin Street and Main Street became a residential street.
This mural depicts the area in 1835.
Location: 113 S. Cavin Street
Artist: Robert A. Hudson
Sponsors: Jenny Thompson Foundation; City of Ligonier; Structural Composites of Indiana